HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG0766.AM: Washington County, Nebraska Time Capsule
Time Capsule: 1889
Washington County, Nebraska: Time capsule
Size: One folder
On December 13, 1889, the cornerstone was laid for a new courthouse in Washington County, Nebraska. Placed in the stone was a time capsule, a tin box filled with mementos of the occasion as well as documents relating to life in Washington County in 1889. One hundred years later, residents of Washington County celebrated the centennial of their courthouse. As part of the celebration, the contents of the time capsule were retrieved from the cornerstone on June 18th and displayed during Gateway to the West and Washington County Courthouse Days.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection is arranged in one series: 1) Time Capsule, 1889. Included are photocopies of documents found in the Washington County Time Capsule on June 18, 1989 when the contents were retrieved from the courthouse cornerstone. Among the 100-year old items were histories and membership lists of various church, fraternal, social, and ethic organizations found in Washington County in 1889; lists of county officials in 1889 and probate judges during 1855-1889; and an invitation and program for the laying of the corner stone, as well as the oratory given by Lorenzo Crounse at the ceremony.
Series 1 – Time Capsule, 1889
Items (photocopies only) placed in time capsule of Washington County Courthouse in 1889 and retrieved for view in 1989
Crounse, Lorenzo, 1834-1909
Washington County (Nebraska) — Churches
Washington County (Nebraska) — History