HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG2757.AM: Union College (Lincoln, Nebraska)
Topographical survey map: 1897
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska
Size: 1 item
Union College, a Seventh-day Adventist college in Lincoln, Nebraska, opened for classes on September 30, 1891. The community of College View grew up around Union College and runs roughly from 40th to 58th Streets and from Van Dorn to Pioneers Boulevard. The campus of Union College covers fifty acres, and with over 100 species of trees on campus, it is part of Nebraska’s statewide arboretum.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The manuscript portion of this collection consists of one item, a copy (on blueprint paper) of a topographical survey map of Union College campus. The map was created by the Union College class of 1897 under the instruction of M.W. Newton. Members of the class included H.T. Curtis, M.E. Kern, W.W. Hobbs, Anna Johnson, S.E. Barnhart, Edith Webster, Ida Woodward and Arthur Fulton. The map shows locations of the main College building, North Hall, South Hall, bakery, fire dept., laundry and baseball field.
Note: See the photo component [RG2757.PH] for various photos of Union College. See the moving image component [RG2757.MI] for a video entitled, “College View: From a College to a Community.” See the library collection for various publications by and about Union College. For additional information on the founding of Union College, see: Everett Dick, “The Founding of Union College, 1890-1900,” Nebraska History 60 (1979): 447-470.
Topographical survey map of Union College campus, 1897
College View (Lincoln, Nebraska) — Maps
Maps — Nebraska — Lincoln
Union College (Lincoln, Nebraska) — Maps