Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG3237.AM:  Trinity Cathedral (Omaha, Neb.)



Records:  1857-1973

Omaha, Douglas County, Neb.:  Episcopal Church

Size:  60 volumes on 12 reels of microfilm



BACKGROUND NOTE



The first services of the Trinity congregation were held on July 13, 1856, under the leadership of Bishop Jackson Kemper. Parish organization was completed in the fall of 1856 but plans to build a church were interrupted by the financial panic of 1857. Therefore, the congregation met in various homes in Omaha for the next two years.



In 1859 Mr. Jesse Lowe, first mayor of Omaha, donated a ten-year lease on two lots located at 9th and Farnam streets and a brick church seating 200 persons was built. Trinity Parish was formally incorporated in 1862 and in 1867, land at 18th and Capitol was purchased for the erection of a frame church costing $15,000. This building was destroyed by fire in 1869 so a fund to raise money to erect a more permanent and substantial structure was begun. By 1881, the cornerstone was ready to be laid and appropriate ceremonies were conducted. Construction was completed by Nov. 15, 1883 and a large number of dignitaries were in Omaha for the consecration.



One of Nebraska’s pioneer churches, Trinity Cathedral continues to be an active member of Omaha’s religious community. Among the more prominent figures associated with its history have been Bishop Robert H. Clarkson and George Allen Beecher. A cathedral church, Trinity is the headquarters for the Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection consists of records of the Trinity Cathedral of Omaha, Nebraska, 1857-1973, on twelve reels of microfilm, and is arranged in 13 series: 1) General Correspondence, 1868-1916; 2) Legal Documents, 1862-1914; 3) Fiscal Records, 1867-1877; 4) Parish Registers, 1857-1973; 5) Vestry Minutes, 1862-1959, 1962-1972; 6) Church Service Records, 1897-1966; 7) Parish Aid Records, 1896-1944; 8) Women’s Auxiliary Records, 1915-1970; 9) Men’s Club Records, 1908-1922; 10) Ledgers, 1872-1904; 11) Printed matter, 1859-1971; 12) Gardner Memorial Parish House Association records, 1909-1917; and 13) Miscellany.



The collection relates to the history, administration, and activities of the Trinity Cathedral of Omaha, Nebraska, 1857-1973. The bulk of the collection consists of parish registers, and vestry minutes, which are generally complete throughout the period. The records of various church organizations, including the Women’s Auxiliary, the Trinity Service League, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, and the Trinity Guild, are included.



The correspondence in Series 1, which is limited in volume and scope, does contain numerous letters to and from persons active in the early history of Trinity Cathedral. Many of the letters relate to the selection of Rectors, church construction, and generally to early church affairs. Documents in Series 2 relate to the physical property and legal status of the church and its organizations. Most of this early material was assembled by Henry W. Yates Sr. who wrote a history of Trinity Cathedral published in 1915.



Correspondents include: Augur, Christopher Colon, 1872; Clarkson, Robert Harper, 1869, 1872, 1876, 1877, 1878.



The collection was loaned for microfilming in August of 1973.



DESCRIPTION



Series 1 – General Correspondence, 1868-1916



Reel 1

Folder




  1. General correspondence, 1868-1916



Series 2 – Legal Documents, 1862-1914



Reel 1

Folder




  1. Legal documents, 1862-1914 (Includes deeds, bequests, and agreements)



Series 3 – Fiscal Records, 1867-1877



Reel 1

Folder




  1. Brownell Hall

  2. Misc. receipts and invoices for materials and supplies; treasurer’s reports, 1873, 1877



Series 4 – Parish Registers, 1857-1973



Reel 1

Volume




  1. 1857, Apr. – 1876, Oct.

  2. 1876, Oct. – 1883, Mar.

  3. 1883, Apr. – 1886, Feb.

  4. 1886, Mar. – 1903, Dec.

  5. 1904, Jan. – 1927, Dec.

  6. 1927, May – 1958, Dec. (Baptisms, confirmations, deaths)



Reel 2

Volume




  1. 1959, Feb. – 1963, Nov. (Baptisms, confirmations, marriages)

  2. 1922, Feb. – 1941, Jan. (Marriages)

  3. 1941, Feb. – 1952, Dec. (Marriages)

  4. 1953, Feb. 14 – 1959, Jan. 3 (Marriages)



Reel 2A  (Volumes 11-14 were filmed at an earlier date than the rest of the records.)

Volume




  1. 1963-1973, Apr. 1 (Baptisms)

  2. 1963-1973, July 28 (Marriages)

  3. 1963 (Confirmations)

  4. 1963-1973, July 20 (Deaths)



Series 5 – Vestry Minutes, 1862-1950, 1962-1972



Reel 2

Volume




  1. 1862, Apr. 21 – 1904, Apr. 4



Reel 3

Volume




  1. 1904, Apr. 23 – 1936

  2. 1937-1947



Reel 4

Volume




  1. 1948-1953

  2. 1954

  3. 1955

  4. 1956



Reel 5

Volume




  1. 1957

  2. 1957

  3. 1958

  4. 1959

  5. 1962-1964

  6. 1965-1968

  7. 1969-1970



Reel 6

Volume




  1. 1971-1972



Series 6 – Church Service Record Books, 1897-1966



Reel 6

Volume




  1. 1897, May 1 – 1902, Apr. 6

  2. 1904, Feb. 14 – 1914, Jan.

  3. 1914, Jan. – 1922, Jan. 19

  4. 1922, Jan. 1 – 1940, Nov. 10

  5. 1940, Nov. 13 – 1952, Apr. 21

  6. 1952, Apr. 23 – 1955, Nov. 26



Reel 7

Volume




  1. 1955, Nov. 26 – 1961, Feb. 22

  2. 1961, Mar. 26 – 1966, Aug. 1



Series 7 – Parish Aid Records, 1896-1944



Reel 7

Volume




  1. Secretary’s book, 1896-1901, May 31

  2. Secretary’s book, 1918-1919

  3. Treasurer’s books, 1905-1916

  4. Treasurer’s books, 1916-1919

  5. Treasurer’s books, 1918-1918

  6. Treasurer’s books, 1919

  7. Treasurer’s books, 1919

  8. Treasurer’s books, 1920

  9. Treasurer’s books, 1921

  10. Treasurer’s books, 1922

  11. Treasurer’s books, 1923-1924

  12. Treasurer’s books, 1924-1936

  13. Treasurer’s books, 1928-1943

  14. Treasurer’s books, 1931-1944



Series 8 – Women’s Auxiliary, 1915-1970



Reel 7

Volume




  1. Secretary’s book, 1915-1922

  2. Secretary’s book, 1922-1932

  3. Secretary’s book, 1922-1925 (Cathedral Branch)



Reel 8

Volume




  1. Trinity Service League, 1921-1927

  2. Executive Committee Service Ledger, 1934-1943

  3. Martha Guild Minutes, 1953-1962

  4. St. Mary’s Guild Minutes, 1948-1949

  5. St. Mary’s Guild Minutes, 1944-1954

  6. St. Mary’s Guild Minutes, memos and membership lists, 1952-1954

  7. Trinity Guild Minutes and Treasurer’s report, 1966-1970



Series 9 – Men’s Club Records, 1901-1922



Reel 8

Volume




  1. Men’s Club, 1920-1922

  2. Brotherhood of St. Andrew, 1908-1914



Series 10 – Ledgers, 1872-1904



Reel 8

Volume




  1. Collection Ledger, 1872-1909

  2. General Ledger 1892-1898



Series 11 – Printed Matter, 1859-1971



Reel 9

Folder




  1. Includes programs, brochures, directories, memorial albums, reports



Volume




  1. “The Chimes,” 1922-1923

  2. “The Chimes,” 1924-1925

  3. “The Chimes,” 1926-1927

  4. “The Chimes,” 1927-1928

  5. “The Chimes,” 1932-1942

  6. “The Chimes,” 1943-1945

  7. “The Chimes,” 1945-1947



Reel 10

Volume




  1. “The Chimes,” 1947-1949

  2. “The Chimes,” 1949-1951

  3. “The Chimes,” 1951-1952

  4. “The Chimes,” 1953-1955

  5. “The Chimes,” 1955-1957

  6. “The Chimes,” 1957-1959



Reel 11

Volume




  1. “The Chimes,” 1959-1961

  2. “The Chimes,” 1961-1963

  3. “The Chimes,” 1963-1965

  4. “The Chimes,” 1965-1967

  5. “The Chimes,” 1967-1969

  6. “The Chimes,” 1969-1971



Series 12 – Gardner Memorial Parish House Association Records, 1909-1917



Reel 12

Folder




  1. Correspondence and legal documents of the Gardner Memorial Parish House Association, 1909-1917



Series 13 – Miscellany



Reel 12

Folder




  1. Historical data



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Douglas County (Neb.) — Churches

Episcopal Church in Nebraska

Omaha (Neb.) — Churches

Trinity Cathedral (Omaha, Neb.)



 



Revised 09-25-2008   TMM