HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG1549.AM: St. Peter’s Catholic Church (Jefferson, South Dakota)
Jefferson, Union County, South Dakota: Catholic church
Size: Two volumes on one reel of microfilm
Rev. Pierre Boucher arrived from Canada in 1868 to become the first resident priest in Jefferson, South Dakota. Under his supervision, a church, sacristy, and parsonage were built. By the time Jefferson celebrated its centennial in 1959, the parish consisted of some 250 families.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of two volumes of manuscript material on one microfilm reel: Church Registers, 1868-1890. The registers provide information on baptisms, marriages, and deaths recorded by St. Peter’s Catholic Church of Jefferson, South Dakota. Entries are written in French. A centennial history of Jefferson is included on the microfilm. Because the microfilm is in negative form, many of the pages are difficult to read.
- Church register, November 1868-May 1878
- Church register, May 1878-June 1890
Catholic Church — South Dakota
South Dakota — History
St. Peter’s Catholic Church (Jefferson, South Dakota)