Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG3935.AM:  St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (Bancroft, Neb.)



Records:  1901-1978

Bancroft, Cuming County, Neb.:  Evangelical Lutheran Church

Size:  9 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm



BACKGROUND NOTE



In the late 1880s, Rev. W. Harms began ministering to a small group of Lutheran families in and around Bancroft, Nebraska. A harness shop served as the first meeting place for the services. Later, a Methodist Church was used and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church was organized there on March 15, 1905. It wasn’t until 1910, however, that St. Paul had its own building. A parsonage was added in 1913. With the growth in St. Paul’s membership, a new church building was dedicated in 1924. By its 50th Anniversary in 1955, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church reported a membership of nearly 700.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection consists of church records arranged in four series: 1) Parish Registers, 1901-1978; 2) Minutes, 1911-1972, 3) Communicant Records, 1924-1962; and 4) Pamphlets, 1930-1963. This collection provides information relating to membership in St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Bancroft, Nebraska, as well as providing records of church meetings and special events in the church’s history.



Series 1 consists of Parish Registers, 1901-1978, recording baptisms, confirmations, communions, marriages, and burials. The headings in Volume 1 are in German; Volumes 2 and 3 appear in English. A special memoranda section in Volume 2 notes several resolutions that were passed. The Minutes, 1911-1972, of Series 2, record society meetings. The constitution and by-laws are included. All information appears in both German and English.



Series 3 is a Communicant Record, 1924-1962, listing names and when the individual received communion. Several notes are inserted listing deaths and transfers to other churches. Series 4 consists of Pamphlets, 1930-1963, written for St. Paul’s 25th and 50th anniversaries and for the dedication of its Educational building.



This collection was loaned for microfilming on January 18, 1979.



DESCRIPTION



Series 1 – Parish Registers, 1901-1978



Reel 1

Volume




  1. 1901-1962

  2. 1963-1965

  3. 1966-1978



Series 2 – Minutes, 1911-1972



Volume




  1. 1911-1942

  2. 1942-1972



Series 3 – Communicant Records, 1924-1962



Volume




  1. 1924-1962



Series 4 – Pamphlets, 1930-1963



Volume




  1. Twenty-fifth Anniversary, 1930

  2. Fiftieth Anniversary, 1955

  3. Program for Dedication of Education Building, 1963



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Bancroft (Neb.) — Churches

Cuming County (Neb.) — Churches

Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nebraska

Germans in Nebraska

Lutheran Church in Nebraska

St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (Bancroft, Neb.)



 



Revised 09-15-2008   TMM