Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG4416.AM:  St. John’s Episcopal Church (Valentine, Neb.)



Records:  1885-1915

Valentine, Cherry County, Neb.:  Episcopal church

Size:  2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm



BACKGROUND NOTE



The first Protestant Episcopal services in Valentine, Nebraska, were held on November 29, 1885, by the Reverend John Vaughn Lewis, U.S. Army chaplain at Fort Niobrara. Under Vaughn’s direction, a subscription drive for a church building was begun in December of that year. The cornerstone was laid on St. Bartholomew’s Day, August 24, 1886. As a result, the church has sometimes been referred to as St. Bartholomew’s. Regular services were held beginning on May 19, 1887, and the church was consecrated on September 14, 1888. In 1890 the parish was included in the newly created Missionary District of the Platte, later named the Missionary District of Western Nebraska.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection of the records of St. John’s Episcopal Church of Valentine, Nebraska, consists of two volumes dating from 1885-1915 on one reel of microfilm. The registers contain lists of baptisms, marriages, burials, and communicants. These records were loaned for microfilming in May of 1978.



DESCRIPTION



Reel 1

Volume




  1. Register, 1885-1894

  2. Register, 1894-1915



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Cherry County (Neb.) — Churches

Episcopal Church in Nebraska

St. John’s Episcopal Church (Valentine, Neb.)

Valentine (Neb.) — Churches



 



Revised 08-18-2008   TMM