Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG3227.AM:  St. Anthony of Padua Church (Farwell, Neb.)



Records:  1877-1974

Farwell, Howard County, Neb.:  Catholic Church

Size:  2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm



BACKGROUND NOTE



The parish of St. Anthony of Padua in Farwell, Nebraska which claims to be the oldest Polish church in Nebraska, was founded in September of 1877 when the Rev. Anthony Kawiter came from the nearby mission at Warsaw, Nebraska, to serve until June of 1878. Thereafter the church was staffed by a succession of priests until the Rev. Ladislaus Sebastyanski, S.J., arrived in 1884. During his twelve-year tenure he built a rectory and a school, which, together with the church, were destroyed by fire. A larger church with two towers and two bells was begun but before completion it burned also. Mass was celebrated in the new church, erected on the same foundations, on August 7, 1887. In 1925 the congregation voted to move the church into Farwell. The old rectory and convent were demolished, and the church building dismantled and re-assembled with some additions on the new site. A new school, rectory and convent were erected.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of the records of St. Anthony of Padua Church of Farwell, Nebraska, arranged in one series: 1) Church Records, 1877-1974. Volume 1 is the Register of Baptisms from 1877 through 1905. Volume 2 is the Register of Marriages from 1878 to 1974. In both volumes the earliest entries were copied into the register by the Rev. Ladislaus Sebastyanski, who became the pastor in 1884.



DESCRIPTION



Series 1 – Church Records, 1877-1974



Reel 1

Volume




  1. Register of Baptisms, 1877-1905

  2. Register of Marriages, 1878-1974



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Catholic Church in Nebraska

Farwell (Neb.) — Churches

Howard County (Neb.) — Churches

Poles in Nebraska

St. Anthony of Padua Church (Farwell, Neb.)



 



Revised 11-05-2008   TMM