NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3881.AM: Salt Creek Mission (Lincoln, Neb.)
Size: 1 volume
In order to counteract the exploitation of the Indians and the general disregard of law by many early settlers of Lancaster County, Nebraska, many eastern Churches felt it was their duty to send missionaries to spread the gospel message. As a result, the Salt Creek Mission, a Methodist Protestant organization, was established by Elder J. M. Young of Nebraska City, Nebraska in 1864. In 1866 several of the quarterly meetings of the mission were held in the “Lancaster Seminary,” 40 acres of which was provided by Elder Young. A two story structure, one of only seven buildings in Lincoln, served not only as a meeting place for the quarterly session, but as a seminary building and public school. When this structure was destroyed by fire in 1867, the Methodist organization began the construction of a church building in Lincoln under the pastorship of Reverend Robert Hawke. One of the pioneer Methodist Churches in Lancaster County is now known as the St. Paul United Methodist Church. From this mission, supported by the Missionary Society, some twenty-nine Methodist congregations were established in Lancaster County by 1942.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of the minutes of the Quarterly Conference of the Salt Creek Mission, Methodist Church. These records date from the establishment of the mission in 1864 up to February 10, 1883.
- Minutes of the Quarterly Conference: Contains proceedings of the conference from its organization in 1864 until February 10, 1883.
Methodist Church in Nebraska
Missions — Nebraska
Nebraska — Religious institutions and affairs
12-20-2006 Revised TMM