Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG3664.AM:  Occidental Hotel (Sutton, Neb.)



Records:  1889-1892

Sutton, Clay County, Neb.:  Hotel

Size:  2 volumes



BACKGROUND NOTE



The Occidental Hotel was built in 1878 by R.G. Brown and opened by W.J. Abbott. After six months J.T. Mollyneaux began operating the hotel, and in 1880 he purchased the building. On June 11, 1889, Mollyneaux traded the hotel to Marcus Wittenberg in exchange for the Oakland House, also located in Sutton. In September 1889, Wittenberg sold the Occidental Hotel to J.R. Schopes.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection of records of the Occidental Hotel, Sutton, Nebraska, consists of two hotel registers dating from 1889-1892. These registers cover the period from October 18, 1889, when the hotel opened under the management of J.R. Schopes and Co., to August 6, 1892.



These volumes were brought in from the Clay County Courthouse, Clay Center, Nebraska. They were used as evidence in a series of cases in 1897 and 1898 which reached the Nebraska Supreme Court. (See Mollyneaux v. Wittenberg, 39 Neb 547, and Wittenberg v. Mollyneaux, 55 Neb 429.)



DESCRIPTION



Volume




  1. 1899, Oct. 18 – 1890, Nov. 12

  2. 1890, Dec. 12 – 1892, Aug. 6



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Clay County (Neb.) — Businesses

Hotels — Nebraska — Sutton

Occidental Hotel (Sutton, Neb.)

Sutton (Neb.) — Businesses

Sutton (Neb.) — History



 



Revised 10-29-2007   TMM