Select Page

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG1630.AM:  Miller & Paine (Lincoln, Nebraska)



Advertising ephemera:  1915-1990

Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska:  Department store

Size:  1.25 cu.ft.



BACKGROUND NOTE



Founded in 1880 by J.E. Miller and Bartlett Paine, Miller & Paine department store operated in Lincoln, Nebraska for over one hundred years.  The main store operated at 13 & O Streets in downtown Lincoln with a second store opened in 1960 in the Gateway Mall.  Miller & Paine established a third store in Grand Island, Nebraska, in 1974.  In 1988 Miller & Paine sold their department stores to Dillards.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



The collection consists of one box of ephemera relating to Miller & Paine.  Advertising ephemera includes laminated newspaper advertisements, ca. 1915-1965, and a newspaper column series relating to Nebraska history, ca. 1980.  Also included are catalogs, artwork and clippings relating to the redevelopment of downtown Lincoln.



Note:  See the photo component [RG1630.PH] for related images.  See the audio component [RG1630.AU] for various radio advertisements for Miller & Paine.  See the moving image component [RG1630.MI] for television advertisements.  See the library for various books published by Miller & Paine.



INVENTORY



Box 1

Folder




  1. Advertising ephemera (see also oversize)

  2. Newspaper clippings regarding downtown redevelopment

  3. Newspaper column series relating to Nebraska history (see oversize)



 



Subject headings:



Department stores — Nebraska

Lincoln (Nebraska) — Businesses

Miller & Paine (Lincoln, Nebraska)

Stores, retail — Nebraska



 



TMM     08-29-2018