Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG4175.AM:  Laurel Hill Cemetery (Omaha, Nebraska)



Burial cards:  1882-1983

Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska

Size:  2 reels of microfilm



BACKGROUND NOTE



The Laurel Hill Cemetery, also known as Sautter’s Cemetery and the Old German Cemetery, is located at 21st and Polk Streets in Omaha.  Begun in 1866 by Christian Sautter on his farm near South Omaha, it was turned over to a lot-owners’ association in 1936.  The cemetery covers twelve and a half acres, including a potter’s field.  Many of the older stones bear German inscriptions.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection of records of Laurel Hill Cemetery, Omaha, Nebraska, consists of two reels of 16mm microfilm containing burial cards arranged alphabetically by surname.  The cards date from 1881-1983.  The cemetery records were destroyed by fire in 1910.  Thereafter, members of the Sautter family and others attempted to reconstruct the burial records from memory and from other available sources.  This card file was prepared by Margie Sobotka from existing cemetery records as well as obituary notices for Laurel Hill burials.  She translated any of the latter which were published in Czech.  At the time of filming, these cards had not been checked against the tombstones to verify, particularly, the pre-1910 information.



This file was loaned for filming in April 1984 by Mrs. Margie Sobotka of Omaha.



Note:  See the NSHS Library for Margie Sobotka’s Laurel Hill Cemetery: Omaha, Nebraska 1867-1990 [978.238 L377h].  The Nebraska Statewide Cemetery Registry may contain additional information about the cemetery.  Ask a staff member for more information.



INVENTORY



Reel 1 – Unknown; A-Sramek, John

Reel 2 – Stacey, Anna J.-Z



 



Subject headings:



Cemeteries — Douglas County, Nebraska

Czechs in Nebraska

Germans in Nebraska

Laurel Hill Cemetery (Omaha, Nebraska)

Old German Cemetery (Omaha, Nebraska)

Omaha (Nebraska) — Cemeteries

Sautter’s Cemetery (Omaha, Nebraska)



 



APD/jls             04-26-1984