Select Page

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG4941.AM:  Lancaster County Humane Society (Lincoln, Nebraska)



Records:  1909-1957

Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska

Size:  0.5 cu.ft.; 4 volumes



BACKGROUND NOTE



Established in 1902, the Lancaster County Humane Society’s first animal shelter was located in a shed near the West ‘O’ Street viaduct in Lincoln.  At the time the Society’s mission focused on the prevention of cruelty to children and horses.  They expanded their services in 1907 to include a variety of animals.  The Society continued to expand over the years and eventually changed their name to the Capital Humane Society.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



The collection consists of four volumes dating from 1909 to 1957.  The first two volumes are “complaints” record books for registering complaints of mistreatment and endangerment of animals in the Lincoln area.  This function was administered by the Humane Society until the City of Lincoln established the Department of Animal Control in the 1970s.  The other two volumes are scrapbooks containing clippings about the activities of the Humane Society.



INVENTORY



Box 1

Volume




  1. Complaints, 1909-1911

  2. Complaints, 1911-1914

  3. Scrapbook, 1922-1927 (see oversize)

  4. Scrapbook, 1951-1957 (see oversize)



 



Subject headings:



Animal welfare — Nebraska

Child welfare — Nebraska

Lancaster County Humane Society (Lincoln, Nebraska)