Select Page

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG5374.AM:  Jackson High School (Lincoln, Nebraska)



Ephemera:  1912-1939; 1977-1978

Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska

Size:  0.5 cu.ft.; 1 box and 1 oversized volume



BACKGROUND NOTE



University Place, a village in Lancaster County surrounding Nebraska Wesleyan University, was incorporated in 1889.  They soon established a public school and the first class of students from University Place High School graduated in 1895.  In 1912 the old frame building was replaced by a much larger, three story brick building.  In 1926 University Place voted to be annexed to Lincoln and their schools became part of the Lincoln school system.  Since University Place no longer existed as an entity, the name of the school was changed to Jackson High School, named for William Roberts Jackson, a leader in education and former dean of the College of Education at Nebraska Wesleyan University.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection consists of various ephemera relating to Jackson High School and its predecessor, University Place High School.  Materials include graduate and other event programs, a few class rosters, some newspaper clippings, letters from alumni groups, and two scrapbooks.  The bulk of the materials in the collection date from 1912 to 1939 with a few alumni letters and clippings from the 1970s.



Note:  See the photo component [RG5374.PH] for related images.



INVENTORY



Box 1

Folder




  1. University Place High School alumni-reunion materials

  2. Jackson High School alumni-reunion materials

  3. Jackson High School scrapbook, 1930-1931

  4. Jackson High School scrapbook, 1930-1939 (see oversize)



 



Subject headings:



Education — Nebraska

Jackson High School (Lincoln, Nebraska)

Schools — Nebraska — Lancaster County

University Place High School (University Place, Nebraska)