NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG3045.AM: Hemingford Congregational Church (Hemingford, Neb.)
Hemingford, Box Butte County, Neb.: Congregational church
Size: 1 reel of microfilm containing 5 volumes
The first people to take land claims in Box Butte County, Nebraska, settled in the area of present-day Hemingford. These settlers included people of a number of different religious faiths, all feeling the common need for the guidance of a church. The first move toward some formal organization came in 1885, when several people formed a Sabbath School. In a meeting, this group decided that the Congregational Church was the most democratic of the possible choices, offering means of individual expression to meet the needs of people of different faiths. Accordingly, on May 23, 1886, the Congregational Church of Hemingford was organized. This group included eleven charter members; and their pastor was Rev. N.E. Gardner, himself a member of the United Brethren Church. The first permanent structure built to house the church was erected in 1889.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of negative microfilm containing five volumes of the records of the church, dating from 1866-1966. The volumes constitute the successive registers of the church, in which are recorded: registers of pastors, deacons, committees, minutes of annual meetings, communicants, baptisms, marriages, deaths and other information for the respective years.
The records were loaned for microfilming in October of 1966. Blank pages were omitted in filming.
- Register, 1866-1910
- Register, 1910-1937
- Register, 1937-1952
- Register, 1953-1966
- Annual Reports, 1953-1965
Churches — Nebraska — Box Butte County
Congregational Church in Nebraska
Hemingford Congregational Church (Hemingford, Neb.)
Hemingford (Neb.) — Churches
Revised 08-09-2008 TMM