Select Page

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG0874.AM:  Grace Episcopal Church (Red Cloud, Nebraska)



Records:  1928-1931

Red Cloud, Webster County, Nebraska:  

Size:  Four items



BACKGROUND NOTE



Grace Episcopal Church was organized in 1879 in Red Cloud, Nebraska. It was attended by one of Red Cloud’s most celebrated families, the Cathers, and is immortalized briefly in Willa Cather’s novel, The Lost Lady. It lapsed as an active congregation around 1969. The present church building, erected in 1883, is now part of the Willa Cather Foundation.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection consists of four Articles of Agreement between the Grace Episcopal Church of Red Cloud and Emil Frei, Inc., of St. Louis and Munich, an art-glass company. The articles relate to the design and construction of five stained glass windows for the church. In each case, Mrs. W. A. Sherwood of Red Cloud represented the church.



INVENTORY



Articles of Agreement, 1928-1931 (see OB033)



 



Subject headings:



Art glass — Nebraska — Red Cloud

Cather, Willa Siebert, 1873-1947

Emil Frei, Inc. (St. Louis, Missouri; and Munich, Germany)

Grace Episcopal Church (Red Cloud, Nebraska)

Red Cloud (Nebraska) — Churches

Sherwood, Carrie Belle (Miner), 1869-1972

Webster County (Nebraska) — Churches



 



Revised TMM        03-09-2007