HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG2102.AM: Fort Kearny (Nebraska)
Ephemera: 1948, n.d.
Fort Kearny, Nebraska
Size: One folder
Established in 1848, Fort Kearny was the first fort built to protect travelers on the Oregon-California Trail. It served as a home station for Pony Express riders and Pawnee scouts. The fort was an important stage station, and it sheltered work crews building the Union Pacific Railroad in the 1860s. The U.S. government discontinued Fort Kearny as a military post in 1871. After tearing down the buildings, the government opened the land for homesteading. The Fort Kearny Memorial Association purchased the land in 1929 and transferred title to the State of Nebraska for future use as a state historical park. Fort Kearny State Historical Park opened in 1959.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one folder containing ephemera relating to the 100th Anniversary of Fort Kearny and the Centennial celebration held at the site in 1948. Included are a souvenir program, an address by Congressman Carl T. Curtis, a brief history of the fort by Dr. Lyle Mantor, and a Christmas postcard mentioning old Fort Kearny.
Note: See the photo component [RG2102.PH] for various photographs relating to Fort Kearny.
- Souvenir Program, Fort Kearny Centennial, September 22, 1948 (2 copies)
- Address by Congressman Carl T. Curtis at Fort Kearny, September 22, 1948 (2 copies)
- “Brief History of Fort Kearny” by Dr. Lyle Mantor (2 copies)
- Minden Christmas postcard, “Light that Shines Out” (2 copies)
Curtis, Carl T., 1905-2000
Fort Kearny (Neb.) — History
Kearney County (Neb.) — History
Military bases — Nebraska