NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG2657.AM: First Methodist Church (Polk, Neb.)
Polk, Polk County, Neb.:
Size: 3 items on 1 reel of microfilm
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The Polk Methodist Church records consist of three items arranged in three series: 1) Records, 1887-1954; 2) History, 1878-1941; and 3) Directory, 1917.
The first series forms the bulk of this collection. Recorded in the single volume are records of pastors, 1887-1954; official members, 1899-1920; probationers, 1893-1927; baptized children, 1904-1928; members in full connection, 1888; baptisms, 1907-1927; and marriages, 1903-1921.
Series two consists of a three page, typewritten history of the church, which was organized in 1878 as the Cooper Methodist Episcopal Church and moved to Polk in 1906 when the town was founded.
A directory published in December 1917 completes the church records. This forty-four page publication contains advertisements, a greeting from Pastor Harry W. Cope, an historical statement and a brief history of Polk, Nebraska, in addition to the directory of church members.
This collection was loaned for microfilming by Rev. W.C. Birmingham of Polk, Nebraska, in January and February 1956, and part of the Norden Club project in Scandinavian history.
Series 1 – Records
Record of Polk Methodist Church, 1887-1954
Series 2 – History
History of Polk Methodist Church, typed, 3 pp., 1878-1941
Series 3 – Directory
Directory of First Methodist Episcopal Church, December 1917
First Methodist Church (Polk, Neb.)
Polk (Neb.) — Churches
Polk County (Neb.) — Churches
Swedes in Nebraska
03-20-2007 Revised TMM/tmm