NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG4411.AM: First Congregational Church (Fontanelle, Neb.)
Fontanelle, Washington County, Neb.: Congregational church
Size: 1 volume
In 1854, the Nebraska Colonization Company acquired land and founded a colony on the Elkhorn River in Nebraska Territory. Religious services and activities began with the coming of the settlers in 1855, and as the colony grew, the people decided to establish a church. With the help of Rev. Reuben Gaylord from Omaha, the church was organized on May 10, 1856, with an original membership of twenty-three people. Rev. Thomas Waller was the first pastor, and their first building was acquired in the fall, located on a lot donated for the purpose by the town company.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one volume containing the original records of the First Congregational Church of Fontanelle, Nebraska. Entries in the book include: constitution, pp. 1-2; confession of faith, pp. 3-4; covenant, pp. 5-6; standing rules, pp. 7-8; history of the church, pp. 12-19; records of the church, pp. 20-147. Entries through November of 1875, were by C.G. Bisbee, clerk.
- Clerk’s minutes, 1856-1887
Congregational Church in Nebraska
First Congregational Church (Fontanelle, Neb.)
Fontanelle (Neb.) — Churches
Washington County (Neb.) — Churches
Revised 10-26-2009 TMM