Select Page

NEBRASKA STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG4038.AM:  First Baptist Church (David City, Neb.)



Records:  1895-1980

David City, Butler County, Neb.:  Baptist church

Size:  2 reels of microfilm containing 8 volumes



BACKGROUND NOTE



Beginning in the early 1870s, the Rev. Jacob Earnhart, a Baptist minister and farmer living near Octavia, held services in various farmhouses. The Baptist Church was officially organized in October of 1879. In the following year a small, unused church building was moved to David City from Schuyler. In 1899 the church moved to a building on the present site which was purchased from the Lutheran Synod.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



This collection of the records of the First Baptist Church of David City, Nebraska, on two reels of microfilm, is arranged in 2 series: 1) Record Books, 1895-1980 and 2) Miscellany, 1950-1977. There are eight volumes of record books, all containing minutes of church meetings and lists of members. In addition, the later volumes contain frequent entries of events and activities concerning the church. The book for the years 1945-1950 includes a brief history of the church (pgs. 35-41) and a list of all members to 1962 (pgs. 279-300), complied from existing record books.



DESCRIPTION



Series 1 – Record Books, 1895-1980



Reel 1

Volume




  1. 1895-1915

  2. 1915-1933

  3. 1934-1945

  4. 1945-1950 (includes history of the church, pgs. 35-41, and a list of members to 1962, pgs. 279-300)

  5. 1950-1957

  6. 1957-1962



Reel 2

Volume




  1. 1962-1970

  2. 1970-1980



Series 2 – Miscellany, 1950-1977



Item




  1. Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, Minutes of Organizational Meeting, 1977

  2. Church history published in 1950



 



ADDED ENTRIES:



Baptist Church in Nebraska

Churches — Nebraska — Butler County

David City (Neb.) — Churches

First Baptist Church (David City, Neb.)



 



Revised 08-09-2008   TMM