Select Page

HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID



RG0876.AM:  Deer Creek Lutheran Mission



Reminiscences and collected papers:

Wyoming Territory:  

Size:  0.25 cu.ft.; 1 box



BACKGROUND NOTE



In 1858, the Lutheran Synod of Iowa sent two missionaries to the far northwest, what is now Wyoming, to begin a mission among the Crow. The following year, four pupils from the Mission School at Nevendettelsav, Germany volunteered to contribute to this work. They founded the Deer Creek Mission in the Yellowstone River area of Wyoming, and over the next five years they worked among the Indians “to tell them of God’s words and give them the Holy Sacrament.” With Indian uprisings on the plains in the mid-1860s, the Deer Creek Mission was disbanded.



SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE



The collection consists of the “Kirchenblatt,” a Report of Evangelical Lutheran Missionaries to the Indians. Originally written in German, this report was translated in 1938 by a Society staff member. The Report contains the diary of Karl G. Kreps, one of the Indian missionaries, and describes work done among the Crow, Cheyenne, and Arapahoe. Also included in the collection is a manuscript by Franz Matter titled, “In the Service of the Indian Mission,” and printed material and correspondence about the Mission and the missionaries.



INVENTORY



Box 1 – Reminiscences and collected papers, Deer Creek Lutheran Mission, Wyoming Territory



 



Subject headings:



American Home Missionary Society

Congregationalism

Missionaries

Missions, Home

United Church of Christ, Nebraska Conference



 



AIP/ksa                07-1990

Revised kfk     10-14-2003