HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG1602.AM: American Association of University Women. Hastings Branch
Hastings, Adams County, Nebraska
Size: 2.0 cu.ft.; 2 boxes
Thirty-five women gathered at the Hastings YWCA on November 16, 1931 for the organizational meeting of the Hastings, Nebraska Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW). The first officers elected were Mrs. Hayes M. Fuhr, President; Miss Gladys Nelson, Vice-President; Miss Margaret Jones, Secretary; and Miss Evelyn White, Treasurer. The local charter for the Hastings Branch was granted on December 5, 1931.
The national AAUW was founded in 1881 to further the education of American and International women and to encourage high school girls to attain higher degrees through scholarships or funds from the state or local organizations. Women with approved bachelor or advanced degrees from a selected list of accredited institutions were eligible for membership. The Hastings Branch of the AAUW remained active until 1993 when, due to declining membership, they decided to disband. The Hastings Branch officially dissolved on June 9, 1993 with a membership of seven.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of two boxes of records of the Hastings Branch of the American Association of University Women. The records date from 1931 to 1993. Materials include secretary’s and treasurer’s records, historian’s reports, yearbooks, programs, convention materials, scrapbooks and other historical writings. The collection is unprocessed but an inventory is available.
- Hastings branch, AAUW dissolution, June 9, 1993
- Historical writings about the national AAUW
- Historical writings about the Hastings Branch of the AAUW
- Women’s Inter-Club Council of Hastings
- 1932-1947 – yearbooks, annual summaries, newspaper articles, conventions, etc.
- 1934-1935 scrapbook containing news articles, programs, yearbooks, etc.
- 1931-1936 – secretary’s book
- 1932-1951 – yearbooks, annual summary, meetings, programs, state division bulletins
- 1937-1947 – treasurer’s books
- 1936-1953 – secretary’s and treasurer’s reports
- 1953-1958 – secretary’s report
- 1950-1962 – guest lists
- 1946-1960 – treasurer’s book
- 1945-1958 – scrapbook containing yearbooks, programs, clippings, annual summaries, etc.
- 1959-1963 – historian’s reports, convention news, clippings, letters, branch reports, etc.
- 1962-1963 – Opinion Poll summary, treasurer’s report, officer and chairman reports, by-laws, etc.
- 1963-1964 – secretary and treasurer’s reports
- 1965-1966 – state resolutions, 1965 and 1966 state conventions, secretary and treasurer’s reports, etc.
- 1967-1968 – secretary’s reports, centennial celebration convention, etc.
- 1968-1970 – by-laws, secretary’s notes, state bulletins
- 1970-1974 – yearbooks, conventions, programs, news articles, etc.
- 1973-1976 – secretary’s notes
- 1975-1980 – branch bulletins, news articles, correspondence, yearbooks, etc.
- 1979-1989 – program guides, yearbooks, president’s reports, state directory, news articles, etc.
- 1989-1993 – correspondence, yearbooks, press releases, workshops, secretary and treasurer reports
- 1989-1993 – notes of president, state cancer survey, Shortchanging Girls and related materials, secretary and treasurer’s notes
- 1985-1993 – branch officers’ reports
- 1989-1993 – Nebraska division and regional workshops
- 1989-1993 – Nebraska division and regional workshops, pt. 2
- 1984-1993 – state division bulletins
- 1985-1993 – state division directories
- 1975-1993 – local by-laws
- 1987-1993 – state by-laws
- 1981-1993 – national by-laws
- State and local stationary
- 1989-1993 – examples of Ed. Foundation program, legal advocacy fund, Eleanor Roosevelt fund
- 1984-1985 – public policy issues (legislative chair)
- 1984-1993 – education
- 1984-1993 – equity for women
- 1984-1993 – women as agents of change
- 1984-1993 – human rights
- 1984-1993 – water study
- 1984-1993 – individual liberties
- 1980-1993 – examples of correspondence from state
American Association of University Women
American Association of University Women. Hastings (Nebraska) branch
American Association of University Women. Nebraska Division
Women — Education
Women in Nebraska
Women’s rights — Societies, etc.