HISTORY NEBRASKA MANUSCRIPT FINDING AID
RG1396.AM: Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church (Mead, Nebraska)
Speeches: 1935 and 1960
Mead, Saunders County, Nebraska
Size: Two items
The Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church was formerly organized on January 5, 1870 by Rev. S. G. Larson and twenty-three settlers. Rev. Larson served as the church’s first pastor, but as a traveling missionary, services were conducted infrequently.
Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church’s first building was begun in 1871 and, due to economic factors, was not completed until 1874. By then the congregation included more than two hundred members. The first building was located on Section 4, Township 14, Range 8. The congregation decided to relocate in the town of Mead and in 1886, a new church was built there at the cost of $7,000.
During the church’s first forty-five years, services were conducted in Swedish. Gradually, between 1915 and 1925, services were conducted in English. On January 1, 1963, Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church became part of the Lutheran Church in America.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of photocopies of two speeches from 1935 and 1960. These speeches were given to commemorate the 65th and 90th anniversaries of Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church of Mead, Nebraska. Both speeches present a historical sketch of the church and provide information or the various pastors who have served.
Accession Number: 1990.803
- Speech given by Rev. C. G. Samuelson at 65th anniversary celebration, 1935
- Speech given by Roland G. Nelson at 90th anniversary celebration, 1960
Alma Evangelical Lutheran Church (Mead, Nebraska)
Mead (Nebraska) — Churches
Nelson, Roland Gordon, 1913-1980
Samuelson, Carl George, 1869-1950
Saunders County (Nebraska) — Churches
Swedish Americans — Nebraska
Revised TMM 03-12-2007